Saturday, September 10, 2011

Glimpses of Grace

Many days I find myself asking God, “Why did you send me to Phoenix?” Arizona? – Sure. I understand that part – it captured my heart years ago… but Phoenix??? I’m still trying to acclimate to this city and to find “my place” here. I know that there is a purpose for me being here, and I know that this is where God wants me at this time – He has clearly orchestrated all of it.  That being said, it is still difficult many days trying to adjust to this place. “Well it’s the desert, Autumn” you might say.  I love the desert – I think God created me for a climate such as this, it just sets well with me. That might make me weird, but I don’t care.  I don’t want to be a “typical American” – what is typical anyways??  I wouldn’t have been surprised to have found myself in a small village in the middle of the desert miles from anything. But I was surprised to find that God wanted to send me to Phoenix – one of the largest cities in the nation. I don’t expect to know an answer immediately, but am thankful for His grace and for showing me little glimpses of it each day.

I see his grace in the smile of a child I am doing therapy with for my job.  His grace is in the clouds as they shelter the city from the sun and lower the temperature even by a few degrees bringing some relief from the heat.  His grace is around me in the family who has so graciously offered for me to stay with them temporarily as I’m transitioning and looking for a place to live.  It’s in the laughter of the 3 precious kids who are living with me and the smiles at dinner when I have a seat between them.  His grace is in a chance meeting with another woman originally from Alabama who struck up conversation with me at Starbucks (and who also asked if she could pray for me before I left).  It’s in the acceptance of 5 inner city kids as we cooked dinner and made friendship bracelets.  And I found His grace in the random meeting of a new friend who just so happens to know some of my friends from New Orleans. God blessed me through that and reminded me that He is everywhere, and His people are all over the world…and sent a little smile my way as I felt a connection that helped me to take a deep breath and relax. 

So thankful for the love of my God and for the way He shows me He cares for me. J

No comments:

Post a Comment